Saturday, November 8, 2008

HR Motivational - Success Begins Every Morning

This week I was reminded (again!) about how vital it is to plan my day each morning. On Thursday, I sent the following note to my clients and a few friends:

"As most of you know, in September we got a new puppy, and puppies upset every schedule known to humankind. But this week Tucker has finally matured enough that I can "pretty much" resume my tradition of coffee, planning my day, and walking each morning. He's still a baby and I wouldn't claim he's reliable yet, but this week I've had my coffee and sat at my table about 6:00. I write for maybe 30 minutes--occasionally reminding Tucker what a good dog he is to lay by the window. It's made a huge difference in my productivity, my attitude and my energy!
 
I wouldn't encourage everyone to follow my particular rituals. Not everyone loves to journal, not everyone drinks coffee. But whatever routine WORKS for you, FOLLOW IT! Start your day with focus and precision.
 
I don't regret the distractions while Tucker was so small, but I do appreciate how much they COST me in lost productivity. Take charge of your day or I can pretty much promise "circumstances" and "they" will do it for you! Follow your rituals. Plan your day. Start strong."

The past few weeks have been stressful. I suspect it's similar to having a new baby in the house, though out of respect for young parents I hesitate to make that claim. What I can say is that a "failure to plan is a plan to fail."

While Tucker was tiny and needed to go outside a couple times a night, needed to be fed first thing in the morning, and hadn't learned to wait while we started our day, my days began in chaos. Not "bad" chaos--we love him, after all!--but on a schedule dictated by his needs, rather than my choice. BIG mistake!

Success begins in the morning. We either "seize the day" or we don't. We seize the initiative, or we don't. We work from a plan, or we don't. If we fail to take charge of our mornings, we allow fate and circumstances, other people and luck to play a huge role, and that's usually a mistake. "If we fail to plan, we are planning to fail."

High achievers seize the day. The winners in life organize their schedules and they decide what they will accomplish each day. Highly successful people close their office door so they can concentrate. Sometimes they refuse to answer the phone, or even skip a meeting. They know time and energy are their most vital resources and they allocate them wisely.

Specifically, here are four suggestions that can help:

1. Plan Your Day. Some people plan the night before, others do it first thing in the morning, but plan your day! Consult your calendar, review your goals, and decide in advance what you will accomplish each day.

2. Use a System. I use a simple 3x5 card to list my three top priorities each morning, and it helps. Whether you use a "to do list" or some other tool, have a system to keep you on track all day long. There will be distractions--count on it--and you'll need a system that automatically pulls you back on track.

3. Start Strong. I know, some people are "night hawks" and early morning is not a good time for them, but I'm convinced that routine is a HUGE part of starting the day with momentum and passion. I sit quietly, sip coffee, write in my journal and plan my day. Develop your own rituals, but have a pattern that empowers and gets you started!

4. Celebrate Victories! It's vital to acknowledge each accomplishment through the day. I know, some people think I'm silly, but when I cross an item off my to-do list, I pause to smile, maybe do a fist-pump, or even a little happy dance! Celebrations give us energy and confidence. And, face it, they're fun! Celebrate your wins every day.

There will always be days when the best laid plans fall apart. We know that. But in the long run, over time, we are responsible for our personal productivity and planning is vital to high achievement. If you're a night person, do it the evening before. Make whatever adjustments are helpful in your situation, but develop routines and rituals that organize your time, energy, and focus to get things done. Only you can do this, and if your goals are important to you, you MUST do it.
 
Thanks to Philip E. Humbert

=======================================================