CAPM Exam Prep: Rita Mulcahy's Course In A Book For Passing The CAPM Exam
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
(12 customer reviews)
From the author of the best-selling PMP exam preparation book in the world, CAPM Exam Prep by Rita Mulcahy is the worldwide standard for people studying for the CAPM exam. In addition to 12 comprehensive lessons, this innovative book includes games, exercises, Tricks of the Trade and common pitfalls and mistakes as well as enough sample test questions for a full CAPM practice exam.
- Amazon Sales Rank: #20799 in Books
- Published on: 2009-09-25
- Original language: English
- Dimensions: .3 pounds
- Binding: Perfect Paperback
- 455 pages
About the Author
Rita Mulcahy, PMP, founder and CEO of RMC Project Management and RMC Publications, is the most popular project management author in the world. Since 1991, hundreds of thousands of project managers have utilized her 30+ best-selling books and resources to expand their project management knowledge and further their careers.
Most helpful customer reviews
19 of 19 people found the following review helpful.
Will only half-prepare you
By Rommil Santiago
Let me begin by saying this is a very good book. I've read a few CAPM prep guides and this by far was one of the best. It was thorough and an easy read. However, know that it must be complimented by reading the PMBOK. There are many little details in the CAPM exam that unfortunately this book will not prepare you for. This book is meant to be part of your overall preparation process.
I also recommend shelling out the cash for their CAPM exam simulation software. Yes. It is pricey ($200). However, it is generally a good representation of what the CAPM exam was. The book groups the question by chapter. Unfortunately, the real exam is random. It gets very easy to start confusing terms because so many sound similar. With that said, it only took me 2 hours to finish the exam and I passed on my first try.
So overall, I recommend this book as long as you read the PMBOK and try out some exam simulations. Give yourself 50-60 hours of prep time, and you'll be fine.
17 of 17 people found the following review helpful.
Concentrated Review Needed To Pass The Exam
By Stan Kuback
Providing a concentrated review of the KEY information you need to PASS the CAPM examination, this book can be your keystone to success with the CAPM exam.
I used Rita's CAPM Exam Prep course in a book to prepare for the CAPM exam and was successful in passing the exam on my first try. The keys to that success are due to a few things that this book provides that you will not find anywhere else:
1) It's up to date. Fully supporting the PMBOK Guide, fourth edition.
2) Rita teaches you ALL the KEY information you need to know to pass the exam. No fluff here. Knowing THIS information will get you a passing score! And...it saves you a ton of time studying because you are studying in a focused way on the specifics that the exam will test you on.
3) The included quizzes, games and "Tricks of The Trade" really help you learn the material to pass the exam.
4) Rita's "Shuffle Games" were invaluable to help me not only learn the KEY inputs, outputs, tools/techniques of the various PM processes, but also learn why they are needed. This particular aid, in my view, is worth the price of the book alone as the exam test heavily on process inputs, tools & techniques and outputs, creating a really big challenge to overcome.
5) The provided "Study Plans" have been carefully thought out. Use one as your personal step-by-step guide to passing the exam.
All of this said, you will need to get your hands on the PMBOK Guide, fourth edition to read. Sorry, no way around that. Also, give yourself the time you need to fully complete one of the Study Plans Rita has detailed in the book. (Eight weeks is probably about right for most folks). Lastly, take advantage of Prometric's "Test Drive" to become comfortable with the Prometric site where you will take your exam. They charge about $30 for this, but it totally removes any anxiety you might otherwise have on test day when you arrive to take your exam, because you will now exactly what to expect.
10 of 11 people found the following review helpful.
Rita knows the CAPM exam well!
This is an excellent preparation guide for the CAPM exam. Rita charts out everything for you, just read this book from start to end. However, I would also recommend buying Rita's FASTrack Sim Software ($200). The questions were really useful and many of them appeared during the actual exam. Don't waste your money on the Flashcards. Rather read the definitions from PMBOK Glossary.
- Read PMBOK once
- Rita's CAPM Exam Prep twice
- Constantly refer to the input, output, tools from PMBOK guide for the 9 knowledge areas. Very helpful.
- Solve the simulation exam at least twice and review the marked/incorrect questions. If you get 70-75% on Rita's test you should be fine to clear the exam.
The book is easy to read and you want to come back to the concepts again. I loved Rita's writing style. Very encouraging and relieves the tension. On few occasions Rita tells you 'Relax, you have been studying very hard', 'Smile, it helps' etc...these small things really make a difference. Sadly, we have lost such an amazing writer and Project Manager.
Good luck to the newbie PM's!!!
|Magazine Subscriptions||Books||Kindle Store|