Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rejection Follow-Up Letter

Was your ego bruised when you were notified that you didn't get the job? Get yourself back in the game by sending a post-rejection follow-up letter. You never know -- the person hired might not be working out, or there could be other suitable openings. Keep your name on decision makers' minds by checking in several months after you were rejected for the job. The letter's purpose is to reiterate your strong interest in the employer and express how hiring you could benefit the company.     

There's no guarantee that this kind of follow-up will work. The employer may have felt strongly that you weren't a good fit for the company. However, following up can send a powerful message about your resiliency as a professional and your heartfelt interest in the company.

Here's a sample follow-up letter you can modify to suit your situation:

Ms. Deborah Rodriguez
Sales Manager, Southwest Region
ABC Company
44 W. Jacoby St.
Denver, CO 55555

Dec. 2, 2010

Dear Ms. Rodriguez:

We met in October when I was one of five finalists interviewing for your regional sales representative opening. Although I was not selected for the position, my interest in joining your team has remained strong. I would like to touch base with you to see if you plan on expanding your sales force in the near future.

As you may remember, my background includes five years of sales experience, a consistent track record of exceeding quotas and a bachelor's degree in communications.

Since our meeting, I have completed Miller Heiman's Strategic Account Management training program, and I have become self-taught in ACT! contact management software.

While things continue to go well for me at XYZ Company (last month I was inducted into the President's Club), I am highly motivated to transition into medical sales. Given the opportunity, I am confident in my ability to deliver the kind of aggressive account growth you outlined as a priority during our interview.

I have recently updated my resume, and I am enclosing it so that you will have the most current version. I welcome the chance to speak with you again about future opportunities. Feel free to call me at (555) 123-4567 or email me at jameswyeth@somedomain.com.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you end the year on a high note.

Sincerely,



James Wyeth

Enclosure: Resume

Thanks to Kim Isaacs, Monster Resume Expert / Career Advice Monster
http://career-advice.monster.com/job-interview/following-up/Rejection-Follow-Up-Letter/article.aspx

 

No comments: