Saturday, January 14, 2012

How To Revamp Your Study Habits For Better Grades

More and more people are going back to school to take courses to get further qualifications these days. These like-minded people want to improve themselves for better futures. These mature students, along with current students in college or university, may find it a real challenge to keep up with all the studying required to do well in their courses. Indeed, this is very much related to productivity issues of getting enough done.

When I started in university many years ago, it was a bit of a culture shock. One of the most extreme differences on campus compared to high school was that the professors didn't really seem to care whether I showed up for classes or not. In some classes, many students were even falling asleep.

I enjoyed this freedom of showing up for classes whenever I wanted. But the rude awakening soon came when I got my first set of grades. My marks sank to 'C' averages and I was even at risk of failing a course or two.

Better study habits

My study habits were poor and last minute cramming for tests or exams made university life quite stressful. Some things had to change as I faced the possibility of dropping out of university without a degree. If you are either a current or returning student, I'm sure that you don't want to be in this type of situation either.

Fortunately, I stumbled onto a study skills strategy that saved me. This method virtually eliminates the need to cram for exams. I started using this strategy to completely change my study habits and it made a huge difference for me.

This study strategy is ideal especially for courses that involve final exams that cover all material that was introduced during a semester or entire year. Here is what this strategy involves.

  1. For each of your courses, schedule a regular study session each week.
  2. Stick to this study session schedule faithfully like a job.
  3. During each study session, review everything that you have covered in your course so far from day one to present.
  4. Continue reviewing all content each week even if you don't have an upcoming test or exam.

Although there will be more material to cover each week for each course as you move along the semester, covering earlier material will become faster as you become more familiar with them each week. You might not have to increase that much time to each study session as the year goes by.

The beauty of this study habits strategy is that by the time final exams roll around, you will be quite familiar with most of the course content because you have been reviewing it each week.

Using this strategy will allow you to go into your final exams with much more confidence than ever before. The only new material is the most recent since older content will be well absorbed into your head from all those weeks of regular study.

No more cramming for exams

This study strategy worked wonders for me as it took me from a 'C' average student to 'B+/A-' average by graduation. This not only allowed me to finish my degree successfully, it got me into MBA school where I needed to have even better study habits in place.

So there it is – my top study skills strategy that basically involves weekly review of everything that you've covered in your courses to date. So no more cramming for exams needed!

Thanks to Clint Cora / Life Hack / Stepcase Limited
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/how-to-revamp-your-study-habits-for-better-grades.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LifeHack+%28lifehack.org%29

Magazine Subscriptions Books Kindle Store
 
 

No comments: